Business Office » Taxpayer FAQ's

Taxpayer FAQ's



  1. How is the real estate tax calculated?

The Real Estate tax is calculated by multiplying the millage rate times the assessed value of the property - Assessment x millage rate = tax (face amount)


  1. When is my real estate tax bill due?

The Real Estate Tax bill has three payment periods – discount, face, and penalty.

  • Discount period is payable on or before September 15
  • Face period is payable on or before October 15
  • Penalty period is due on or before November 15

All taxes not paid by December 31st are turned over to the York County Tax Claim Bureau for collection.


  1. When is my interim tax bill due?

The time period on which the interim billing is based begins when the improvements are

completed or, in the case of new construction, the date of occupancy and is calculated based on the District’s fiscal year which begins July 1 and ends June 30. The payment due dates for your interim tax will vary from your current real estate tax depending on when the change is processed by the County. The payment due dates are printed on the tax bill.


  1. How can I pay my bill?

The following options are available for payment of real estate taxes. Please note that payments must be made for the amount billed. Partial payments will not be accepted unless you qualify for the Installment Payment Option.

  • Pay in person at the appropriate tax collector’s office. See the Tax Collector page for the address and contact information for your tax collector.
  • If your taxes are escrowed, mail the original payment copy and instructions to your

mortgage company. Contact your mortgage company to find out if you need to forward your bill to them for payment. Many mortgage companies do not pay interim/supplemental bills. Before you send an interim bill to your mortgage company contact them for their policy on payment of interim bills.


  1. What is the Homestead/Farmstead Exclusion?

The Homestead/Farmstead exclusion is a property tax reduction provided through the Taxpayer Relief Act of 2006. Under a homestead or farmstead property tax exclusion, the assessed value of each homestead or farmstead is reduced by the same amount before the property tax is computed. In order to be eligible for a property tax reduction, you must have applied for and been approved by the county assessment office for the homestead or farmstead exclusion by March 1st. If you are a new resident or have not previously applied for the Homestead/Farmstead Exclusion, please contact the York County Department of Assessment at #717-771-9232


       6. How can I get a receipt for my payment?

If you pay in person at the tax collector’s office, your copy of the tax bill will be marked as paid. If you mail your payment, include a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment along with the Payment and Taxpayer copies of your bill and a receipt will be mailed to you.


  1. What happens if I don’t pay my bill by December 31?

All taxes not paid by December 31 are turned over to the York County Tax Claim Bureau for collection.


  1. How do I change my address on my bill?

Contact York County Assessment Office at #717-771-9232 or visit their website at to obtain a Change of Address Form.


       9. What if I did not receive a bill?

Failure to receive a tax notice does not relieve the taxpayer from liability for the prompt payment of taxes imposed by the taxing district. It is the responsibility of the property owner to pay the real estate tax in York County even though they may not have received their tax bill. All annual bills are mailed on or before July 15 of each year; tax bills are mailed to the last known post office address of each property owner.

Note: If there has been a change of address, and this is causing your tax bill to be forwarded to an incorrect address, the property owner must contact the County Assessment Office to complete required forms to change/update the address of record.


  1. What is the Tax Claim Bureau?

The Tax Claim Bureau processes real estate liens against delinquent taxpayers for all taxing authorities within the County. Unpaid tax accounts filed during the first year of delinquency are considered tax claims. Certified notices are distributed to these accounts. When taxes go unpaid for two years, tax sale proceedings are instituted which include notification by certified mail, advertisement, Sheriff's posting and finally, sale if taxes are not paid. If your property has been liened, your taxes must be paid directly to the York County Tax Claim Bureau.


  1. Can penalty fees and interest be waived once I have been liened?

No. Once a property has been liened, penalty fees and interest can not be waived.


  1. How do I obtain a tax certification and is there a fee?

A tax certification is a statement showing the parcel number, the property owner of record, and the amount of taxes paid for a particular year. To obtain a tax certification, please contact the tax collector for your Borough or Township.


  1. How do I obtain a duplicate copy of my bill?

To obtain a duplicate copy of your tax bill, please call the tax collector for your Borough or Township.